Friday, July 29, 2016

Week VIII: The End

Technically, it should be the end of the summer immersion. But for me, it seems more like a start. This week I started to contribute something real to the review work. I worked with another senior medical student as co-investigators to do the meta-analysis. The so-called meta-analysis is meant by its name. It is a method to study both the quantitive and qualitative data/result from the chosen literature for a larger statistical impact. We searched all the possible literature and screened through them to validate the ones that were considered as inclusions. Then we had two discussions with our advisor and identified the comparison method/result we made among different MR imaging modalities. We also confirmed my future involvement in this project. Another piece of good news was that my IRB got approved, and I was able to conduct more humans related research. I am grateful I could start to build my collaboration with my clinical advisor.

On Friday, I was fortunate to talk with Dr. Kuceyeski to learn about her research during the farewell reception. From her, I learned something about machine learning application to the field of neuroscience, which was impressive. For always, I feel comfortable and welcome talking with staff and students in WCMC. They are patient and helpful. I am deeply indebted to people who encouraged and helped me during this summer: the technical staff in MRI control rooms, the doctors I shadowed, the fellows I talked to, the medical students I learned from, and so on. It would be a beautiful piece of memory in my life.

Besides the joy of learning from the Immersion, I also love to explore the city a lot. I walked four of the bridges on the east side: Williamsburg Bridge, Brooklyn Bridge, Ed Koch Queensboro Bridge, and Manhattan Bridge. It was fun seeing around during the spare time. I will come back whenever possible for the collaboration and the taste of the city life.


No comments:

Post a Comment