Saturday, July 9, 2016

Week 5


This week was a little a slower in the OR due to the holiday Monday, so I spent a lot of my time in the lab working on my project and helping wherever I could. I was finally able to finish most of the material characterization for one project in the lab, which will be helpful for their upcoming manuscript. Concerning the tumor model project, I made strides in optimizing the procedure and platform, to promote cancer cell invasion, angiogenic sprouting, and allowing for easy imaging. This Friday we began working on methods to crosslink the collagen to recapitulate breast tumor stiffness, which will be an important component to the project. Now I am ready to begin real experimentation next week. I have also been able to continue working with other members of the Rafii lab and learning all that I can from them. In the past two weeks, Spector lab and Rafii lab have started collaborating, so I have been able to see the best of both worlds. It is proving to be some very interesting work. 

This past weekend was particularly fun in the city. I was able to attend Smorgasburg in Williamsburg and try some amazing food, travel through Brooklyn and have a few drinks at a small Brooklyn brewery, go to some great bars with live jazz music all night, as well as meet up with some friends from Cornell. Smorgasburg was amazing and I hope I can find time to head back. I found the food of the week there: korean tacos. All in all, it was a great time. 

Next week I hope to meet up with some of the other student's clinical mentors and observe as many different surgeries as I can before we all leave. 

No comments:

Post a Comment