Friday, July 1, 2016

Week 4

This week has been for me relatively quiet. I started to feel the fatigue of working intensively in a hospital environment. This past month (yes, time flies!), I attend surgeries at least four days a week, which required me to wake up at 6:30am every morning and often skip lunch as procedures usually ended around 3pm. This week, I decided to only go to the OR once and focus on my project instead.

I still did attended a very interesting heart surgery in the pediatric division. The patient was only 7 days old and was diagnosed with Fallot’s Tetralogy, a congenital defect characterize by ventricular septal defect (hole between ventricules), ventricular hypertrophy, pulmonary stenosis, and an overriding aorta. The surgery attempted to patch the hole in the septum.

I spent the rest of time at the library trying to figure out which statistical test to use to analyse Dr. Salemi's data. Statistical analysis is by far not a trivial task and, browsing through the literature, I came across many clinical papers that weren't very rigorous. Therefore, I spent time refreshing my knowledge of statistics, from the simple Chi-square test to the multivariate analysis of variance and Cochran’s Q- test.

No comments:

Post a Comment