Friday, July 1, 2016

Week 4

This week I focused more on autopsies than on grossing/freezing samples.  Part of this was just because I wanted to see more, but another reason is that the new residents started work this week.  The surgical pathology floor was incredibly busy, with current residents leading the new around and helping them get situated.  The current residents also rotated specialties, and the person working on breast was very involved in guiding the new residents and therefore did not have much time to work with me.

My autopsy experiences were very different from last week's as well as from each other.  As they were all in adults this week, everything felt much more real.  The organs were their proper size and it was much easier to discern them as the autopsies progressed.  This week, I was able to watch a team work on autopsies.  The way they worked was impressive: how they divided the work and quickly but meticulously finished the procedure.  And their dynamic was also very interesting; despite being three people working in a rather small space, they all worked with and around each other, depending on what was required, and no one was in anyone's way.  Additionally, everything about the case was treated with respect, which I noticed immediately and appreciated.  It was strange, though, to go from case to case and see people of various ages who had succumbed to illnesses of all sorts and how differently the illnesses manifested in the body.  Sad, at times, to think that something that looked so small could end a life, especially some that had been shorter than others.  There's something very humbling about witnessing these procedures.

I was also able to secure a research project with Dr. Simon, which I am very excited to start working on.  I shadowed her the first week of immersion when my mentor was out of town, and I enjoyed my time with her.  I look forward to progressing in the project, hopefully advancing as I work.

No comments:

Post a Comment