Saturday, July 2, 2016

Week 4: Inklings of a Project

Summary: This week I was introduced to the research lab and continued my OR/clinic experiences.

Another week of clinic and OR began on Monday and continued throughout the week which involved me observing doctor patient interactions. However, in addition to the usual clinic/OR hours, this time I also met with Dr. Faltas who is overseeing my research. I have been unable to start the research aspect of Immersion as I had been waiting on doctors' responses. Dr. Nanus had put me in contact with various doctors such as Dr. Ocean and Dr. Dow but very few responded or had a research project available. This week however, I finally figured out my research situation and have confirmed that I will be working with Dr. Faltas. I met with him this week and learned about my research project which involves studying the role of integrin signalling in cancer drug resistance. I also was introduced to the members of the Faltas group and the Rubin lab in Belfer research building. I had attended the research lab meeting which involved preparing and editing figures for an upcoming publication. Most of my research work this week involved trying to gain access to the Belfer research building, confirming that my EHS training applies, and reading papers on integrin signalling to prepare for my meetings.

Overall - this week was not as intensive as previous week as my focus shifted from observing in clinics/OR to trying to figure out my research.

Another random observation: People wearing business casual in lab. Whaaat?!

No comments:

Post a Comment