Friday, July 1, 2016

Week 4

This week started very slow as I was getting over a terrible cold. This made me cherish my sleep and realize just how busy we have all been during immersion so far, and how long the days can be. I am really amazing at how much the doctors do: between running a lab, office hours/consultations, and surgeries everyday. 

In the OR I observed a reconstruction of the left forehand, reconstruction of the breast with left latissimus dorsal flap, and an excision of an axillary mass. However, my time this week was focused on making real progress with my research project. One of my mini crusades in the lab has been to help teach other lab members different imaging modalities, and help push them to use more efficient imaging techniques for analyzing their samples. With this, I have been working with other lab members to optimize their current platform for fluorescent and confocal microscopy. This will be really helpful in the future for real-time imaging and cell migration studies, and will be particularly useful for the cancer model I am working on. I made a few constructs throughout the week with great success, and began seeding them with cells yesterday. Next week I plan to incorporate the cancer cells and hopefully start collecting some data. 

Also, with Stephen, we have made it our goal to try a new type of food each week and see all the cuisine NYC has to offer. This week was Pho. Another delicious dish. Stay tuned for the special food selection for next week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment