Friday, July 8, 2016

Week 5: Eid and research

Summary: This week I continued getting situated in lab and celebrated the end of Ramadan, the holy month of fasting.

The week started like any other except instead of attending regular clinic hours and observing in the OR I focused on understanding my research project by reading articles and lab protocols. It seems that since I've started my research project so late in the immersion program, I have a lot of materials to learn and a lot of lab techniques to master. The steep learning curve ahead of me is a bit daunting as I am to accomplish so much in so little time. As such this week was all about making sure I got a feel for how things are done in lab. Unlike my small lab in Ithaca, the lab here has a calender for when the culture hoods can be used, and people have to follow special protocols to eliminate a mycoplasma infection they are experiencing. In addition, I watched Ethan, my mentor for the project, as he passaged cells. He had told me about the work he is doing with transfections and I saw him passage 18 flasks in one sitting. Even more surprising is that he used to passage 60 flasks in one day previously! I am really hoping that I only get to work with a maximum of 4 flasks.

Outside of research, this week was also the last week of fasting for Muslims worldwide. I celebrated the end of Ramadan, called Eid, with my family. During this day we would dress in our newest, finest clothing and pray the Eid prayer in the morning alongside hundreds of other Muslims. Then we go wild with food and entertainment, and visit lots of family. I thoroughly enjoyed eating feasts with my family and reconnecting with my hundred cousins.

Overall, this week was a slow research week as I didn't accomplish much but I did enjoy celebrating Eid my family.




No comments:

Post a Comment