Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Week 5: Back to the Basics

After the long weekend, this week seemed to fly by. With a shortened week and the second half of the immersion term beginning, I choose to use this week to go back to the basics and learn techniques needed to move my immune organoid projects forward. Specifically, in Melnick lab, I refreshed on the complete protocol of Western blots, including analysis and modifications needed to find phospho-proteins. I plan to use this technique to better mechanistically understand downstream signaling perturbations from controlled microenvironmental cues. 

Second, I also learned how to extract lymphocytes from human tonsils! The mere fact of having access to tonsils that were removed from a patient less than a few hours ago both amazed and slightly overwhelmed me. Although there was the inherent pressure of maximizing yields common to any primary tissue procedure, I was excited to understand how to isolate the B-cells, specifically the germinal center B cells, from the tonsil. This excitement stemmed from the fact that the use of human B cells is essential to further the physiological relevance of my organoid platform and to begin more translational and impactful work. 

After learning these techniques from Melnick lab, I began preparing to make my first organoids with human cells in Cesarman Lab. Preparations included irradiating the proper stromal cells and processing organoid supplies. In the coming week, I plan to create tonsil B cell organoids, diffuse large B-cell lymphoma organoids, and Burkitt’s lymphoma organoids that all present separate microenvironmental cues. I’m also hopeful that I will get a shipment of new material this week to conduct some additional interesting drug studies. 

Aside from research, I’m excited for a few more weeks seeing lymphoma patients and working in radiation oncology. With the days of immersion winding down, I’m ready to make the most of my time left here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment