Friday, July 15, 2016

Week 6: In the Hood

Summary: This week began and ended with research.

Unlike my previous experiences in the past weeks, this week I focused on completing my research project with Dr. Faltas. I spent my entire week in the lab learning experiment protocols from my lab's technician, Ethan, who was patient enough to show me where everything was located. I completed my first drug trial experiment where I tested three different inhibitor drugs on three different cancer cell lines. This required traveling between two different hoods located 50 feet apart to prepare the cells. I also learned how to design a plasmid for knocking out specific genes which I have never done before. The protocols that I have learned this week will be very helpful for me in the future if I end up doing similar experiments in my own lab in Ithaca.

Aside from lab this week, I did not spend any time in either the clinic or the OR. I plan to be more active in the lab but I also wish I had more time to witness various surgeries. It was not until this week that I realized how quickly time has gone and how little time is left. With only two weeks left, I hope that I can visit every part of New York and complete my immersion experience before having to depart back.


No comments:

Post a Comment