Friday, July 29, 2016

Week 8

In the final installment of my blog posts about my sweet but short time being immersed, I will document both my final acts and my final thoughts on the program. I started the revision process for my manuscript, sending it to the authors, editing the figures and captions, and continuing to discuss future collaborations with my mentor. In addition, I tried to spend as much time as possible in the clinic and OR since this opportunity may not present itself again in the duration of my Ph.D. In the final procedure I observed in the OR, the patients was a fit, young person who had intact cartilage over an osteochondral lesion. Therefore, Dr. Kennedy chose to operate using a "trap door" procedure instead of completely removing the cartilage and using bone marrow stimulation or AOTs. However, during the procedure it became clear that the current surgical tools were inadequate for the operation. Afterwards, we discussed a new surgical tool set that we hope to collaborate with industry to manufacture. In the coming weeks I hope to submit my manuscript, and continue seeking advise from the professional clinicians I have had the pleasure to work with. Overall, I have acquired both professional networks and friends, and it is sad to leave. However, I look forward to my future research and collaborations.

Pce. Lve. Rebecky.

No comments:

Post a Comment