Sunday, July 10, 2016

Week 5

This past week seemed to fly by with the holiday on Monday, and I hate knowing that as each day passes my immersion term is one day closer to being finished.  While I don't feel like a true New Yorker just yet, I can say that I feel at home in Olin and working at New York Presbyterian.  I will definitely miss having every store or restaurant you could ever desire within a 10 minute walking radius, as well as gorgeous views of the Manhattan skyline at sunset.  I will miss being able to run through Central Park and explore the seemingly endless expanse of grass, trees, and people.  I find something new every time I set out on a run, just today I discovered the Conservatory Garden in the northeast corner with perfectly manicured hedges and beautiful water fountains.

This past week I spent less time in the OR and clinic, and focused on clinical research.  I have been assisting with generating figures for a study analyzing 3D volumes of intervertebral foramen, which involves using various segmentation methods on MR and CT scans to reconstruct virtual models of anatomies of interest.  I have also generated a 3D printable human intervertebral disc, which will benefit ongoing research between the Bonassar and Hartl Groups.  I have learned much more about spinal anatomy, pathologies, and treatments through all of the shadowing, clinical research, and conferences this past month, which will immensely assist my research in Ithaca and help me become an expert in the spine.  I look forward to the last few weeks, but will also miss this great city!

No comments:

Post a Comment