Friday, July 8, 2016

Week 5

I spent the majority of this week in the clinic or OR again.  I was able to several more interesting surgeries this week including a complicated hip revision which required splitting the femur and a bilateral knee replacement.  I find the revision surgeries to be particularly fascinating because each is being revised for a unique problem and required a very personalized approach to correct it.  Additionally, I was able to observe a bunch more appointments in the clinic, which included several interesting cases and, for the first time, a follow-up of a surgery that I had actually observed.  This was particularly interested to see how a patient that I had seen being operated on earlier in the immersion term is recovering.  This week I also started working a little on my research project.  I am helping finish a study that was performed several years ago in the Bostrom lab but never completely finished.  This study is very interesting to me as it examined the bone-cartilage relationship after medial meniscectomy, ACL, and PCL resection in a rabbit model.  I look forward to spending more time working on this project in the coming weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment