Friday, July 8, 2016

Week V: MRI and MS

Fortunately, this week I was able to confirm my summer research content. I will investigate all the experimental data with application of MRI to MS.  This would be quite challenging for me because I have never worked in this field before, not to mention my poor medical knowledge. However, I was motivated as during the time I spent in the hospital I realized that medical research is so helpful for doctors to understand the diseases better. In the hospital, I talked to one visiting doctor from China; he told me the doctors in the U.S. had a profoundly deeper understanding of the diseases. The deeper understanding helps because it leads to directly to more precise treatment of the patients, say, the better outcomes of the surgery. Also, I learned that failures in surgery are not always evitable. I appreciate the spirit of doctors that they never give up helping and treating patients. This spirit makes me feel shameful about my experience working on my research project for Ph.D. I should have been more positive when confronting obstacles and difficulties in my own research no matter what. After all, I should be shaped by my independent thoughts but not the failures.

My clinical mentor wants me to continue the research after back to Ithaca because there is more time allowed. Today I even learned that my summer research would probably be related to my research in Ithaca. What an exciting surprise! Next week, I hope to start my project soon and visit the MS clinic to learn more. There is always somewhere to explore and a lot to learn in the hospital!

No comments:

Post a Comment