Thursday, July 14, 2016

Chapter 5: Week 6

This week was unique for me in that my assigned mentor was travelling so I occupied myself with different tasks and observations compared to a normal week. I shadowed a lab member completing PET imaging, which is the basis for my research project. I attended a seminar regarding prognostic methods in PET imaging, which gave me some background information regarding the technique. The seminar also discussed the advantages and limitations of PET. I focused heavily on writing the image analysis code this week. In doing so, I am creating a graphical user interface that should ultimately be easy to use for individuals unfamiliar with programming.

With Dr. Souweidane out of town this week I was able to observe and shadow other relevant surgeries. The most notable surgery was a double mastectomy and the insertion of breast implants. This was interesting because until this day, I had only witnessed surgeries removing tumors of the brain. It was fascinating to note the differences in surgical technique between the worlds of pediatric neurosurgery and other types of cancer surgeries.


This week’s notable NYC food is not limited to one item but an entire meal. We attended a brunch cruise that included some excellent foods, including but not limited to waffles, a chocolate fountain, and macaroni and cheese.


No comments:

Post a Comment