Friday, June 24, 2016

Week 3: Gaining Momentum

From the start of the immersion, I knew that it would provide me with a valuable learning experience and a memorable summer. However, during the first and second week of the program, I was not able to accomplish much due to the difficulty in coordinating with all the essential personnel. Fortunately, this week has been very productive for me. Dr. Pua was able to provide me with a schedule for the clinical rotations. For this reason, I attended many procedures by the end of the week. The most memorable procedures includes: peripheral insertion of catheter, embolization of liver and removal of peritoneal fluid. In fact, I was able to observe up to 8 procedures a day!

On the other hand, I discovered that my project of using two-photon endoscope to image lungs’ tissue was stalled. In search for a new project for the summer, I came across Dr. Kuceyeski’s work. Her research on machine learning algorithm caught my attention. After our meeting, I became even more motivated in helping her lab. Therefore, my current goal lies in the use of Neural Net Regression on MRI images of the brain in order to predict outcomes after a traumatic brain injury. Interestingly, this project is in parallel with my old studies during my undergraduate career. Back in my junior year, I became involved with the Psychiatry Department.  Based on PET or MRI data, my team was trying to use machine learning algorithms to diagnose whether or not a patient have depression.

Finally, by the end of this week, many of the medical students, residents and fellows I have met will be graduating or leaving this hospital. I wish them the best of luck in their future goals.  I am very thankful for their guidance and advice. None of the students hesitated whenever I asked a question. Every time I was in a procedure room, they would walk me through the operation. In fact the function of most of the equipment, tools and drugs was explained to me. For this reason, I felt very welcome everywhere I went in the department. Words cannot explain how grateful I feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment