Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Week 2

To start off the second week of immersion I gave a brief presentation on the current project I am working on to Dr. Kennedy's research group. It was helpful to be able to create a timeline and discuss the questions I had about the data set and the autologous osteochondral transplantation surgery.

Afterwards, I was able to meet with two radiologists who have collaborated with Dr. Kennedy on previous research projects. They were able to help me figure out if my project was feasible, and also help show me how to interpret MR images. This way I will also be able to grade all of the images and an intra-observer statistic could be calculated.

I was also able to observe several surgeries this week. Dr. Kennedy was able to talk with myself and another summer medical student between procedures. From an engineering perspective, it was interesting to see the issues the surgeons had with the different instruments they used for foot and ankle surgeries. This experience made it even more evident that there needs to be collaboration between clinicians and engineers in order to improve the medical treatment for patients.

So far this experience has been wonderful, and I am looking forward to the rest of my summer here!

No comments:

Post a Comment