Friday, June 10, 2016

During this immersion term I will be working under Dr. Scott Rodeo, an Orthopedic surgeon at the Hospital for Special Surgery. Settling in in the city has been much easier than I expected. Although, it is much different than what I am used to in Ithaca, I find the fast pace of NYC quite refreshing. We have been exploring the city this week as well and have found some really interesting places to eat and hang out during our off time.

In terms of research, my first week with Dr. Rodeo has been great.  The people in the lab have been very welcoming. Having a background in orthopedics and biomechanics has made the transition into this lab much easier. I have earned a lot about the way clinicians think and their expectations in research. Dr. Rodeo and I discussed the specific projects that I will be working on during this summer and I will begin working on this project on a more involved basis starting next week. 

I have also attended a number of surgeries already. I have observed two rotator cuff repairs, a meniscal repair, and a meniscal transplant. I hope to continue to attend these surgeries among others that can increase my knowledge of the field. 

Over all, I am very excited about this immersion term. I think it will be a great experience as a researcher. 

No comments:

Post a Comment