Monday, June 13, 2016

Week 1: First exposure to low exposure reading rooms

First day, I got my ID card and used the rest of the day to learn the college and the hospital and their confusing connections. I located library as I need to finish some online training to get network ID. My First meeting with my clinical mentor, Dr. Martin Prince, was scheduled on Tuesday at 7 am at the corner of 72nd St. and York Ave. I was wondering around at 6:55 and trying to find him.
Although I checked his webpage before, he recognized me first and waved hand(I think a confused guy with ID and tie is obvious). We went to Columbia University, as had a lecture for Radiology residents. In the way, I got a chance to introduce myself and talk about my background and current research topic briefly. The lecture structure was case driven and each resident discussed one MRI and he added more to the discussion. I was afraid if I can follow the discussions due lack of medical knowledge, but I could grasp most of conversations and it was very useful. Then we went to reading room, where resident were reading the MR scans. That was "my first exposure to low exposure reading rooms". He started to read some scans with one of the residents and some times asking me some question starting from very basic questions to harder one which meant to teach me step by step. in our trip back to Weill from Columbia, he explained portal vain and its functionality and MR imaging in addition to reviewing some pathologists. He used the commute times to educate me and most of the time, the next meeting or next day that concept or term was used during conversations and his explanations helped me to stay engaged during that part of conversation. Afternoon I met him in Weill Imaging Building (at E 55th St.) to read more abdomen cases. Each case was about different symptom and he walked me through slowly. It was interstate to see how the user interface of MRI reading and lab reporting software works.
Next Day, Wednesday, he had meeting with surgeons at 7 am at Milstein Hospital next to Columbia University. Each person call a patient ID and he load the images at podium and everyone discuss the case. This experience was fantastic. I was in the middle of serious medical discussions. The discussion matter as well as the discussion itself were interesting. He had few meetings that I accompanied him during those meeting Also we did some reading as well. Thursday and Friday also we had readings, several sessions talking about my project during this immersion term. Attending a reading test by one of resident at Columbia University and being roasted by two doctors due mistakes. Attending MRI research group meeting on Friday and reading some papers about flow speed determination based on 4-Dimensional MRI as well as coccyx motion on radiographs. It was a great week. I look forward to enjoying the rest of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment