Thursday, June 16, 2016

Chapter 1: Week 2

This week I met some members of Dr. Souweidane's lab. The Children's Brain Tumor Project is largely funded by donations made by the families of Dr. Souweidane's patients (often children battling DIPG (diffuse intrinsic pontine glioma), an inoperable tumor occurring at the brain stem). A generous portion of the funding sustaining the lab was recently acquired as a result of a Humans of New York interview with Dr. Souweidane, resulting in $3.8 million dollars in funding toward this research. The quick time frame in which this generous support was acquired puts the intensity of this research and severity of DIPG and related conditions into perspective. I attended the group's lab meeting this week and was able to meet collaborators in Radiology who also work on topics relating to drug delivery for the treatment of cancer. 

Additionally, I shadowed Dr. Spector to see patients and was able to observe the outcome of some surgeries. The most interesting condition I saw was ischemic tissue on a patient following a double mastectomy to treat breast cancer. I also attended several seminars relating to topics in neurology, the most relevant of which detailed newly discovered molecular mechanisms by which axonal degeneration may occur in adults. I found another seminar that related to methods in chemistry and biochemistry for conjugating amino acids to other molecules, and this relates directly to my interests in drug delivery.

Aside from the Immersion program, I will continue to use this blog as a forum in which I document the most notable NYC foods I have enjoyed each week. This week, I would highly recommend the beer-battered cod tacos from El Luchador in southern Manhattan. 


No comments:

Post a Comment