Friday, June 24, 2016

Week 2: Transition Time

As with all transitions, there is always some red tape. In labs particularly, the logistics always boil down to having access, waiting for supplies, and finding the location of simple lab equipment we often take for granted. "Where's the pipette?" may as well be the war cry of the ever disgruntled graduate student. 

Nonetheless, in Cesarman lab, I was able to start culturing four cell lines, comprising of DLBCL (Diffuse Large B Cell Lymphoma) and Burkitt's Lymphoma cells that are either EBV- or EBV+. The plan is to sustain these cultures and produce enough cells to create organoids to better mechanistically understand the microenviromental requirements of each specific condition. I also was able to work with a few post-docs to learn some practical skills in their lab, such as the tricks and tips for their flow cytometer, and several new assays, including a drug toxicity assay. In Melnick lab, I faced similar transition issues, but I was finally connected with a potential point of contact for my summer project. We plan to meet during Week 4. Throughout the week, I also received many of my organoid supplies and began planning a large trial for next week. 

Aside from planning my experiments for the next week, I also was able to immerse myself in all of WCMC's immunology-related teachings. I was particularly intrigued by a seminar on the mechanisms of AID and class-switch recombination, a process that allows differentiated B cells (or plasma cells) to interact with the proper downstream partners. After the talk, I was able to connect with the speaker, and he pushed me in the right direction for inducing these mechanisms in our organoid platform. Surrounded by this wealth of expertise, the optimization of our organoid platform seems much more feasible and exciting. 

Outside of lab, I stepped away from this transition to something more familiar and spent the weekend visiting old college friends in Boston. Then, on Sunday, I was witness to King James' greatness. If the King can bring the 'ship to Believeland and overcome a transition year and a 3-1 deficit, I'm sure I can overcome my own small transition woes. 

Spoiler Alert: Week 2 and Week 3 posts are about to posted back to back. Stay tuned for my first clinical experience and first trial of organoids in NYC. 

No comments:

Post a Comment