Sunday, June 19, 2016


My second week in NYC has been interesting. Most of my week was spent trying to figure out how to gain access to the Campus Wide ID (CWID). This ID is similar to our NetID and it is necessary in order to be added onto the IACUC protocols necessary for my research. This has been very frustrating because it was something that should have been dealt with before we arrived at Weill Cornell. Hopefully this will be resolved soon. Other than that I shadowed Dr. Rodeo on a few more meniscal repairs and ACL reconstructions. The ACL reconstruction surgery was particularly interesting. They take a portion of the patellar tendon and maintain a small piece of both the patella and the tibia to use as bone plugs. The surgery is a mix of an open procedure for the tendon graft and an arthroscopic procedure to fix the ACL. Unfortunately, we found that our cell culture hood was infected by an unknown fungus. We thoroughly cleaned the culture room and left an experiment over the week to see if we had efficiently gotten rid of the infection. I am also starting to write my own protocol for a tendinopathy model, which is exciting. Next week will be a busy week, hopefully this CWID issue gets resolved so I can start doing my research.

No comments:

Post a Comment